On the occasion of 8th National Conference of Society of Otolaryngologists of Nepal held on 17-18th February 2017 in Pokhara, Dr. Michael C F Smith on behalf of INF’s Ear Centre, Green Pastures Hospital has announced an Ear Aid Nepal Educational Otology Bursary to facilitate the selected candidate to attend an OTOLOGY course or conference preferably in the UK or internationally recognized centre.
Bursary equivalent to UK £2,000 will be provided for a course duration of up to 1 week. If successful, it may be repeated annually or biennially as funds permit.
Closing date for receipt of applications by SOL for the 2017/2018 bursary is 1st June 2017.
Suitable courses may often be best identified from the ‘ENT News’ diary pages at: http://www.entandaudiologynews.com/diary/?year=2017&month=2&page=1&cat=0
Criteria for selection
- Candidate must be under 35 years of age on date of course
- Course date must be within 12/12 of acceptance of candidate by EAN trustees
- Attach CV and 200 word explanation of reason for attending this particular course and how it will provide benefit and send it to SOL email ID firstname.lastname@example.org
- EAN reserve the right to pay the course fee directly to the course organisers and will provide any remaining amount to the candidate directly
- Cancellations must be notified as soon as possible
- SOL panel will shortlist 5 candidates
- Names of members of SOL panel to be available to candidates and EAN
- Final decision made by EAN trustees in UK (names of members to be available to candidates and SOL)
- Skype interview with EAN appointed panel in UK may be required
- Candidates responsible for all travel and other practical arrangements
- For courses in the UK, EAN will if available provide some local contacts to help facilitate the visit
- Candidate must provide evidence that a provisional place has been obtained on the course
- Report must be supplied (1000-2000 words) to EAN and SOL within 1 month of attendance, preferably with images. Must explain the course content, reflection on knowledge gained and the usefulness of this course to the candidate
- For courses in the UK, Mr Jeremy Lavy (Consultant Otologist at the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital in London) offers a 1/52 observational otology and lateral skull base attachment in his department. Dates would need to be negotiated directly with him, but would normally be immediately before or after the selected UK course.
INF’s Ear Centre, part of the Green Pastures Hospital in Pokhara, opened its doors in November 2015. INF has a long history in providing ear care and treatment, running ear surgery camps twice each year since 1992, in partnership with Ear Aid Nepal, from the UK.
Apart from treating people with ear disease and deafness, the Ear Centre also trains Nepali staff in ear related procedures and treatment, and provides education on ear care and deafness.